Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was taken into custody on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to his former position as a UK trade envoy. Authorities confirmed that officers carried out searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk, while a man in his sixties remains in custody.
Investigators said they are working with partner agencies and stressed the need to safeguard the integrity of the inquiry. They acknowledged the intense public interest surrounding the case and indicated that updates would be shared when appropriate.
Unmarked police vehicles were seen outside the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, where Mountbatten-Windsor has been residing since leaving his home in Windsor. He turned 66 on the day of his arrest.
Fresh Scrutiny Over Epstein Links
The arrest follows renewed attention on Mountbatten-Windsor’s past ties to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein. Recent reports suggested he may have shared potentially confidential documents with Epstein during his tenure as trade envoy.
According to the Financial Times, newly disclosed emails appear to show Mountbatten-Windsor discussing an $8 billion cash-for-oil arrangement involving two foreign entities. The correspondence reportedly began while Epstein was serving house arrest following a 2008 conviction for soliciting sex from a minor.
Royal commentator Craig Prescott of Royal Holloway, University of London, described the situation as one of the most dramatic downfalls for a modern member of the royal family.
What Happens Next in Custody
Former policing analyst Danny Shaw told the BBC that suspects are typically held for 12 to 24 hours before being charged or released pending further investigation. In rare cases, detention can extend up to 96 hours, but only with authorization from senior officers and a Magistrates’ Court.
Mountbatten-Windsor is expected to remain in a standard custody suite while awaiting interview. Shaw noted that detainees are generally kept in basic cells equipped with only essential furnishings.
Pressure on the Palace
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was assessing allegations tied to misconduct in public office. The development prompted King Charles III to issue an unusual public statement expressing concern and indicating that Buckingham Palace would support the authorities.
In October, King Charles stripped Mountbatten-Windsor of his royal titles and required him to leave Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate, following years of controversy surrounding his association with Epstein. He had stepped back from public duties in 2019 after a widely criticized interview with the BBC concerning that relationship.
Mountbatten-Windsor has not been charged with any crime related to Epstein and has consistently denied wrongdoing.
In 2022, he reached a settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexually abusing her when she was 17. While no admission of liability was made, he acknowledged her suffering in a joint statement. Giuffre died by suicide in April at the age of 41 in Western Australia, and her memoir Nobody’s Girl was published posthumously later that year.

